The Village recycling program is also under private contract. Collection of recyclable metals, plastics, glass and mixed paper occurs every Wednesday for the west side of Connecticut Avenue and every Thursday for the east side of Connecticut Avenue. As with household refuse, this collection is from the rear door. The Village participates in a "single-stream" recycling program, meaning that all recyclables can be commingled and placed in the Green recycling toters, pictured to the right. (Recycling materials must not be placed in plastic bags.)
The list of acceptable recyclable materials is constantly growing and a current list follows.
Commingled Glass, Metal and Plastics
- Glass: All jars and bottles (all colors).
- Metal: All aluminum and steel food and beverage cans and aluminum foil products such as balled foil wraps, and foil cookware. Please empty and rinse cans and foil products.
- Plastics: All plastic containers can be recycled. Please empty and rinse containers.
All non-recyclable materials should be placed with the regular trash. To discard of bulk items, please contact the Village's 24-hour Communications Center at (301) 654-7300 to schedule a special pick-up. Special pick-ups are collected every Wednesday by our in-house Public Works Department. Requests for pick-up must be received by 2:00 p.m. on the immediately preceding Tuesday.
- Newspaper and all advertising inserts;
- Magazines and glossy paper products, mail order catalogs, etc.;
- Cardboard: cereal boxes, packing boxes, etc. (Please flatten large cardboard boxes and set with/beside the bin.)
- Telephone books, paperback books; and
- Plain paper, unwanted mail, computer paper.